Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Rubbernecking a Car Wreck--new season of Real Housewives of Orange County

My name is Dawn Atkins and I'm addicted to The Real Housewives of Orange County.

It's on it's sixth season and every time I see the teasers for a new season, I swear I'm going to stop. But I can't peel my eyes off the continually crazier high-school antics of this crowd of fake-boob-bedecked, Botox-puffed, gaggle of conspicuous consumers.

Of course, after each episode, I have to take a shower, but I come back for more next week. I'm not alone. I coaxed my husband into watching the first season with me, all the while listening to him say how dirty it made him feel, but he couldn't take his eyes off the screen and he watches every season lying right beside me, bugging his eyes at me, saying, "Can you believe she said that?"

Why am I like this? Every season when the women turn into mean girls and harpies and the show devolves into a scream fest between narcisists I tell myself, this is not good for me. This damages my soul. I must stop watching.

But, next week, I'll be right there with my DVR clicker to rewind to resee the most outrageous moments. It's like childbirth. You forget how much it hurts until the next time.

What gulity pleasure shows do you watch? Please share. Make me feel less depraved.

For now, I'm going back to writing fiction, where my characters could never get away with that behavior. Unlike real life, fictional characters have to earn their successes and grow and change in the book. The Real Housewives only seem to get worse.

Can you believe that Alexis spent the whole dinner party crying because her husband wasn't there?
Sigh.
Best,
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment