Tuesday, May 5, 2009


WANTED: The Perfect Dog for a Life Lesson

I need a dog...BAD. Not for me--our tabby pretty much rules the home front at the moment, though we do love dogs, too.

What I need is a puppy for my hero, Chase McMann, to give my heroine, Sylvie Stark, as a surprise gift. She won't like it at first--she's scared of commitment--but she comes around eventually.

Deep inside, Sylvie believes she has to earn every bit of love and affection she gets in life. She was left at seven with her grandparents by a young, flaky mother, so she spends her life working hard, being the best she can be.

Chase, meanwhile, is easy-going and flexible and assumes everyone will love and forgive him--and they do--he's a mischievous charmer. Of course, that's what this dog is all about--a canine embodiment of what Chase will be in Sylvie's life. The dog will teach her to to kick back, have fun, be flexible, get into trouble but charm her way out of it.

What do you think? Can you recommend the perfect dog to help my character find her true heart and get in touch with all the love she has to give?

So far this King Charles Cavalier is working for me, but I'm not sure he's perfect. These spaniels are loving, not yappy, friendly, behaviorably manageable, affectionate, devoted, almost a lap dog, but not sickeningly so, and smart.

What are your thoughts for my character and your own idea of the perfect dog?
Dawn
www.dawnatkins.com

3 comments:

  1. The perfect dog...hmm. Could I have one with a switch that could be turned off whenever we left town or didn't feel like going for a walk, and turned on whenever I felt like playing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sistah. Already, I agonize about our poor cat and we have dear friends who come over and play with her every day we're gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the single title I'm working on at present I gave my hero a mini dachshund with only one eye. Just like my own fur baby who sleeps at my feet in my office.

    The King Charles is adorable.

    Cher

    ReplyDelete